MD Data Scientist / Algorithm Designer
noun [ C ]
someone who thrives when at the intersection of maths, bioinformatics and software engineering, has undeniable #massgeek potential and has the drive to create impact in an early-stage SciTech startup
What you’ll be signing up for
We help our bioPharma and academic users and the broader Mass Spectrometry community navigate the world around them by making good business, research-based and science experiment decisions. These decisions shouldn’t be dependent on ad-hoc and time-consuming analysis, instead we want to shift mindsets to make it possible for scientists to have and communicate continuous conversations around their data, at any time and from anywhere.
You will contribute to this vision by:
- Create new tools to dig into mass spectrometry data in a cloud environment
- Identifying potential new or existing solutions to adapt and integrate them into the existing ecosystem
- Coming up with clever ways to make our customer’s lives easier while swimming in scientific data
- Working instep with the product development team to enrich our services with useful and intelligent insights or interactions
- Pragmatically applying your love of math, software engineering and working in small multi-disciplinary teams to solve problems
- Digesting books, papers, videos to learn about scientific methods, approaches and tools that can be leveraged to get our users closer to their end goal
- Being open, curious and adventurous when it comes to overcoming challenges to make sense of Proteomics data
- Being inquisitive about science, scientists and associated systems
- Participating in team stand-ups, all-hands, retros, showcases, priority sessions. Always with the aim to share information, prioritise workloads, unblock each other, learn about something new or celebrate ... anything!
The basics you’ll need to succeed
Our fabric is based on being lean, pragmatic, user-focused and we opt to create incremental value over brochures. We think and work fast and smart. This doesn't mean burning the candle at both ends, nor does it mean behaving like a cowgirl or boy. It means putting in place disciplined and automated practices to allow us to write, test, push code and deliver value to our users regularly.
Having the emotional intelligence (EQ) to be able to adapt in this environment will be needed.
There will be some key things you'll need for this role:
- Experience with bioinformatics, statistics, signal processing or another related fields
- Languages such as R, Python and bash
- Comfortable learning new APIs and tools as needed
- Excellent communication skills; verbally, orally or visually
- Structured and analytical thought process; experience translating data into actions
What will give you the edge?
Given the sectors we operate within and the subjects we live and breathe, if you have the basics above plus experience with some of the following areas, you should stop reading this and contact us asap.
- Signal processing, algorithm development and data analysis
- Mass Spectrometry
- Proteomics / -omics
- Application of machine or deep learning in any of the above areas
Why Mass Dynamics?
- A great chance to help scientists accelerate medical research and drug development
- An opportunity to learn and apply high quality software engineering practices such as scaling software, version control and continuous integration (CI)
- Our early adopter customers love us, our services and all that we stand for
- Leverage well-known and progressive SaaS approaches
- Work alongside deep subject matter experts
- We have a for-impact lens, no ad-clicking algorithms here
- Our product development process is tight. We have the maturity to ship code to production within days of writing it so you will see the direct impact of your brilliant ideas
- Lean and emotionally intelligent team, it’s safe to speak up to share your ideas and concerns. We embrace failures as they are a great way to learn
- We are an Australian-based startup with a global vision
Who is Mass Dynamics and why do we exist?
Mass Spectrometry (MS) is the best scientific discovery tool available have today and most discoveries have involved the use of them in some shape or form. In the last 100+ years, MS has enabled the discovery of new molecules, signaling pathways and mechanisms of disease. It’s helped us understand how drugs, therapeutic agents and protein structures behave and even helped solve crimes. Ultimately, MS can help answer incredibly complex questions of nature.
MS ought to be accessible by more life scientists. What’s great is that MS instruments receive a lot of attention and in turn hardware innovation occurs at a rapid rate. What’s not so great is that the software to leverage their magic is left behind. Until now.
MD has built Discovery and Targeted MS data analysis services to help the bioPharma and Academic sector efficiently and effectively process, quality-check, analyse, interpret and share their MS experimental data. Typically taking days, weeks or months, MD can produce results within minutes or hours. With this lightning speed, we are supporting our customers in the acceleration of medical discoveries and drug development, without compromising efficacy or safety.
We’ve done this by bringing together progressive technology, a lean and human-centred design approach, novel scientific methods and a diverse team. We are expanding our team so we can create greater impact, faster. So get in touch to find out more.