MD Product Designer:
noun [ C ]
someone who thrives when at the intersection of UX/UI design and product-thinking, has undeniable #massgeek potential and has the drive to create impact in an early-stage SciTech startup
What you’ll be signing up for
We help our bioPharma and academic users and the broader Mass Spectrometry community navigate the world around them by making good business, research-based and science experiment decisions. These decisions shouldn’t be dependent on ad-hoc and time-consuming analysis, instead we want to shift mindsets to make it possible for scientists to have and communicate continuous conversations around their data, at any time and from anywhere.
You will contribute to this vision by:
- Working within the Product Development team to bring services to life
- Using your skills (such as design research, user interviews, contextual inquiry, workshop facilitation and stakeholder engagement) to drive our product thinking and UCD capability forward
- Running UX workshops and design sessions to get a deeper understanding into what makes scientists tick and how we can best support their jobs to be done
- Building effective relationships with both internal & external stakeholders
- Applying every last data point and learning to come up with clever ways to make our members’ jobs easier and more effective
- Pragmatically applying your love of design, software and science to solve challenges
- Digesting books, papers, videos to learn about scientific methods, approaches and tools that can be leveraged to get our users closer to their end goal
- Being open, curious and adventurous when it comes to overcoming challenges to make sense of Proteomics data
- Participating in team stand-ups, all-hands, retros, showcases, priority sessions. Always with the aim to share information, prioritise workloads, unblock each other, learn about something new or celebrate ... anything!
The basics you’ll need to succeed
Our fabric is based on being lean, pragmatic, user-focused and we opt to create incremental value over brochures. We think and work fast and smart. This doesn't mean burning the candle at both ends, nor does it mean behaving like a cowgirl or boy. It means putting in place disciplined practices to allow us to iterate with user feedback.
- Ability to articulate and story-tell to communicate and present user challenges and influence product and design decisions
- Strong attention to detail and an appetite to learn (fast!)
- Experience working in an agile team to develop a complex productivity UI for web applications
- Ability to work autonomously and identify high priority work based on various attributes
- Self-motivated with creative flair
- Demonstrated expertise in UX/UI design principles and processes. (e.g. Interaction theory, style guides, UI patterns, design systems, agile development, story mapping)
- A solid grounding in UX/UI design (User Experience, User Interface and User Interaction Design)
- Wireframing and high-fidelity UI prototyping skills (leveraging tools such as Figma, Sketch, InVision, Zeplin or Adobe XD)
- Must have work rights for employment in Australia
What will give you the edge?
Given the sectors, we operate within and the subjects we live and breathe, if you have the basics above plus experience with some of the following areas, you should stop reading this and contact us asap.
- Data Analytics / Visualisation
- Life Science, Mass Spectrometry or -omics
- Incorporating community building into design
- A passion for writing content or copy
- Working with or bridging between industry, biologists, bioPharmas and academica
Why Mass Dynamics?
- A great chance to help scientists accelerate medical research and drug development
- An opportunity to learn and apply high quality software engineering practices such as scaling software, version control and continuous integration (CI)
- Our early adopter customers love us, our services and all that we stand for
- Leverage well-known and progressive SaaS approaches
- Work alongside deep subject matter experts
- We have a for-impact lens, no ad-clicking algorithms here
- Our product development process is tight. We have the maturity to ship code to production within days of writing it so you will see the direct impact of your brilliant ideas
- Lean and emotionally intelligent team, it’s safe to speak up to share your ideas and concerns. We embrace failures as they are a great way to learn
- We are an Australian-based startup with a global vision
Who is Mass Dynamics and why do we exist?
Mass Spectrometry (MS) is the best scientific discovery tool available have today and most discoveries have involved the use of them in some shape or form. In the last 100+ years, MS has enabled the discovery of new molecules, signaling pathways and mechanisms of disease. It’s helped us understand how drugs, therapeutic agents and protein structures behave and even helped solve crimes. Ultimately, MS can help answer incredibly complex questions of nature.
MS ought to be accessible by more life scientists. What’s great is that MS instruments receive a lot of attention and in turn hardware innovation occurs at a rapid rate. What’s not so great is that the software to leverage their magic is left behind. Until now.
MD has built Discovery and Targeted MS data analysis services to help the bioPharma and Academic sector efficiently and effectively process, quality-check, analyse, interpret and share their MS experimental data. Typically taking days, weeks or months, MD can produce results within minutes or hours. With this lightning speed, we are supporting our customers in the acceleration of medical discoveries and drug development, without compromising efficacy or safety.
We’ve done this by bringing together progressive technology, a lean and human-centred design approach, novel scientific methods and a diverse team. We are expanding our team so we can create greater impact, faster. So get in touch to find out more.